Bypassing the low pressure switch will cause the compressor to run any time the PBCU calls for it, although it will still switch off as evaporator temp drops or it is cycled for temp control. The low pressure switch on protects against inadequate freon (and no compressor lubrication). Do not leave it shorted, if it's low, get it pumped out and fix the leak, then replace the switch and properly recharge.

I heat the cans of freon in some hot tap water (only as hot as the water heater delivers it!) making sure the can stays upright. If you leave it at room temp, it can take forever to transfer because the low side pressure is too high.

I would strongly recommend against adding freon to a system without a working gauge set -- it's fairly easy to add too much and blow a high side hose!

Peter