Hi Peter,

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify what was done. The system did
not work when I bought the car in the winter. I shorted the switch to
see if the compressor would run at all, which it did, and it was quiet
too. I put gauges on it and there was some pressure in the system, it
was just low. We evacuated the system and then pressurized it with
300psi of dry nitrogen, shut off the gauges, and let it sit for about
3-4 hours, no loss in pressure meant no big leaks. We then pulled
vaccum with a proper vac pump (29.x" vacuum) for a good hour or more.
Then the system was charged with the specified 2.4lbs of R-12 from a
tank with a digital scale.

After all that the compressor didn't run... turns out the pressure
safety switch was kaput! I shorted it and voila, working AC. I wasn't
about to discard a full charge of R-12 just to change the silly
switch. If/when the system loses enough charge to affect performance
(hopefully a few years from now), then I will replace the switch the
next time I need to open up the system. I'm not crazy about running it
without the safety, but it will have to do for now.

:-)

-Dave M.