Personally I think self-serve bikes in a full-serve station makes no sense.
Basically because:
-I can't possibly fathom having someone else pour gas into your lap making
any sense.
AND
-I can't possibly fathom how the government could be smart enough to
agree...  (:

And, you do kind of hold the handle at an angle (I'm sure it depends on the
bike), in my case, with the nozzle all the way in the shutoff shuts it off
long before I reach the top.  So then you have to kind of pull it out some
to get more in, but at the same time trying not to spill it all over your
bike and/or yourself...  (:

Levi