A 12 ton jack is a small tool.

RB

On 07/08/2015 10:31 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Claw hammers are for driving nails, machinists hammers are for machines... I
think mine is a 3# hammer but it gets used for basically everything except
driving nails.
Shoulda seen my father-in-law last week when I was unloading my house jacking
tools, 5# hammer, 12 ton jack, 4x4 post. If you're going to lift a house you
don't use small tools.
-Curt
       From: Curly McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Curly McLain <126die...@gmail.com>
  Sent: Friday, August 7, 2015 11:19 AM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] This is bad
2 lb at HF is maybe $6 and well worth it for tie rods and ball
joints, etc.  Mine is maybe 12" over all, so it is easier to
maneuver than a claw hammer and has twice the clout.

TO take out the tapered bolts on IH H, they say to whack the side of
the yoke while applying pressure.  I used a crowbar and the 2 lb LFH
and they popped right out.  Had to do this 2-3 times recently.

Same technique should work for tie rod ends/BJ.

I always try a few blows with a regular hammer, I think only once have I
gotten lucky.

This tool was about $50 or so, bought back when Rusty was in business, and
I really like it.  Position, tighten up a bit and check to make sure it's
holding, crank it down nice and snug (three or four white knuckles of
torque), hammer the end contacting the threaded portion of the joint and
the joint usually pops right out after a couple hits.

Someday when I've got some time to play (maybe today, depending on weather)
I will try making a perfect box with string around the perimeter of the
car, then measure / adjust the toe-in.  Another way would be to make two
parallel lines with string, then drive the car between and measure/adjust.
Would be so nice to have a pit or a lift for this work.

Max
Charleston SC

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Curly McLain via Mercedes <