We can only hope! SWMBO here loved the 230TE and the 124 300TD. She tolerates the 240D, the 124 300D, and grudgingly drove the burgundy 300SDL, and hates the other SDLs.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM
Wife has mentioned that her SL500 had died on her several times of late. Yesterday for the first time while stopped at a light. Started right back up. Today it did it twice, both times starting right back up.

Hmm.

As I’m thinking about putting it on the DAS/Xentry tonight and checking codes, it occurs to me that this is a classic crankshaft position sensor failure coming on.

Go to Amazon for the Bosch part - none to be found through Prime, meaning everyone else is shipping to arrive next week. Check the FLAPS, no one has one. Call NAPA - nothing in the state.

It’s 4:30, and I know my dealer parts guy is already gone for the day, but I call anyway.

Cutoff for VOR orders is 4:45. Got one in Jacksonville and it will be here at 7:00 am tomorrow. About $80 my cost, but the Bosch equivalent is $50 and overnight or express shipping would have made it that much or maybe more.

Here’s the convert part:

Gonna give the wife the 350SDL to drive tomorrow. She’s never driven it, or a diesel, since my 1979 300TD. I told her once she got out of the neighborhood she should drive it like she stole it.

This will be interesting.

Dan