I had a chance to drive that Beast. What a ride.
M T T is located about 30 miles from the airport I used to work
out of. Speed Channel was doing a program on the Bike and the Truck.

At the time they were using Allison C250 engines that had been removed
from Aviation service. Now they are using the RR Allison version that
was designed as a GenSet power plant.

Speed Channel used our Heli Base as a Back drop because most of our
Light Helos used the same engine. I got to fly the Camera A/C that did the
Speed runs filming on the runway. That's how I was one of the Lucky Ones
that got to take the bike for a ride. They limited the throttle so we
couldn't go past 80. WOWSERS!!! What a ride. Accelerated like a Scaled
Dog. Also got to make some runs in the Pickup truck.
H'mmmmmm wonder if Air Logistics has any old C250 engines that I can put
into my 240D. ;-)

As for running Jet-A in a M-B. I ran my first 240D on nothing but Jet-A
when I was at work and a Blend Of 50-50 Jet-A & #2 Diesel. When on pure
Jet-A fuel millage dropped from 29 MPG to 27 MPG. We used Jet-A with PRIST
Additive, BioCide, sure did a job cleaning out the tank of all the bugs.
If I put a Qt of Mobile Jet1 in the millage went up to 28MPG.
There was 6 of us that had MB Diesels 350SD down to My 240D. We all ran
Jet-A and Nobody had any problems.
The guys that Diesel Trucks used JetA too but put motor oil in with it
to lube their injector pumps. Except One Idiot that had a Ford F250 Power
Choke. Idiot salesman & Service Manager told him he could run on JetA
without using motor oil as an additive. Burnt out his IP in 5 months.
Ford wouldn't replace it under Warranty Because the Fuel was on Ford's
Approved List. We kept telling him but he wouldn't listen. Oh Well!

Russ W.
ATP (Retired)
'83 240D x2

David Brodbeck wrote:

Ed Booher wrote:
Really, Shows that I wasn't paying attention then. Diesel in ground
based jets ..... learn something new all the time, eh?

Uh huh...Marine Turbine Techologies' jet-powered motorcycle runs on
diesel or kero.  It's been clocked at 227 mph, but no one knows what the
actual top speed is.  It uses a Rolls Royce Allison 250-series engine,
according to their website.

http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp