> Andrew wrote:

> On my W123 300TD, I am having a hard time getting it started
> when the temperature dips below 20 F despite the car being
> plugged into the block heater.  It takes 2 minutes of multiple
> glows and attempts before I can get it fired up. Once I get it
> started the engine runs as if it were preheated.
>
> Question: Does this sound like a glow plug issue?  Do the plugs
> wear out or simply fail?  If one is dead will the other 4 start
> the car, albeit laboriously?

With a working block heater, I expect even my tired car to start
one dead glow plug.  I think it started with two dead glow plugs
- after the block heater was on for an hours at a temperature of
about 0 C (32 F).

Hard starting when cold is usually tight valves, failed glow
plugs, - or low compression.

Glow plugs are easy to test.  I'll post again my preferred method
using an automotive ammeter if anyone wants details.

Valve lash isn't hard, but it involves removing a bunch of the
ugly '85 stuff along with the rocker arm cover.  And fingertips
will become black from the engine oil.

A compression test requires special tools.  But if the other two
are okay, then it's probably compression.