Thanks - good questions.

Primer as the updated black cap.

If fuse were bad it would not start  Period.  Same with the gp relay -
would turn but wouldn't fire.

Might need a valve adjustment  I do a lot of stop and go driving.  Maybe
this has hastened the valve clearance tightening?

Battery is strong.  I did not try lengthy afterglow - that could help.

Perhaps tomorrow I will try to start w/o using the block heater but try
after-glowing instead.

Dwight wrote:  *My 79 240D would start at 4F with no heater using the
triple glow**.*  What is that?