On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Steven Peterson
<peterson.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,

>>> Steve:
>>> That's not what I mean to say.
>>
>> Dan:
>>
>> Oh. I did get that impression from reading your posts. I am sorry if I
>> was in error.
>
> Steve:
> In fact I've been talking about it quite a lot.
>

>>> Dan:
>>>

>>> Steve:
>>> But I agree that this problem gets reformulated. The question of free
>>> will versus determinism gets replaced by the question, to what extent
>>> do we follow DQ and to what extent do we follow sq? The one dilemma
>>> gets dissolved but is replaced by another puzzler. The difference in
>>> our views may be the extent to which we still see a concept that is
>>> similar enough to the traditional notion of free in the re-formulation
>>> to warrant maintaining the old SOM term in talking about what we want
>>> to talk about without being misunderstood.
>>
>> Dan:
>>
>> Possibly. This is tricky stuff to be sure. I am unsure though if your
>> reformulation works; it seems to be mutually exclusive in regards to
>> the extent one follows Dynamic Quality or to who's behavior is
>> controlled by static quality patterns.
>
> Steve:
> I'm not proposing any new personal reformulation. I'm talking about
> Pirsig's reformulation which I think you are right to say does not
> offer two mutually exclusive options.

Dan:

You said: The question of free will versus determinism gets replaced
by the question, to what extent do we follow DQ and to what extent do
we follow sq?

It appears from reading this that these are two mutually exclusive
options, hence my observation that they are not.

> Dan:
>> Within the framework of the MOQ, it is not an exclusive, either/or
>> proposition but rather both. From a static quality, conventional point
>> of view, both free will and determinism are seen as correct. From a
>> Dynamic point of view, both free will and determinism are illusions,
>> the result of a dysfunctional narrative in which we have come to
>> believe. .
>

> Steve:
> I still don't follow you on what these two different perspectives are.
> I never claim to have anything other than a conventional perspective.

Dan:

Yes, I see. But Robert Pirsig does talk about it quite a lot. From LILA'S CHILD:

The MOQ, as I understand it, denies any existence of a
“self” that is independent of inorganic, biological, social or
intellectual patterns. There is no “self” that contains these
patterns. These patterns contain the self. This denial agrees
with both religious mysticism and scientific knowledge. In
Zen, there is reference to “big self” and “small self.” Small
self is the patterns. Big self is Dynamic Quality.

“Hunting for weaknesses, [in your paper] I find that on page one,
paragraph four, there is a sentence, ‘Fundamentally Pirsig’s term is a
mystic one, and refers to the undifferentiated, indeterminate, reality
from which the universe has evolved (or grown) from.’ Although this
is true at a Buddha’s level of understanding, it would be confusing
and illogical in the world of everyday affairs to say that the world is
evolving both from and toward the same thing. I have had some
reader mail that has pointed out at one place I seem to imply that
Quality and chaos are the same and at another that they are different,
so I haven’t been clear on this myself and have left an opening to
attack. To close it up, let us say that the universe is evolving from a
condition of low quality (quantum forces only, no atoms, pre-Big
Bang) toward a higher one (birds, trees, societies and thoughts) and
that in a static sense (world of everyday affairs) these two are not the
same.”
(Letter from Robert Pirsig, March 29, 1997. The word “mystic”
originally in bold not italics.)

DG:
...a materialist might dream that someday science will
develop a theory of everything. On the other hand, an idealist might
tend to side with the Buddhists in saying intellectual concepts of
reality are not central to or even part of reality itself? That we will
never develop a theory of everything? That there’s no chance we can
ever intellectually know reality?

RMP:
The confusion here seems to result from the two languages of
Buddhism, the language of the Buddha’s world and language of
everyday life. In the language of everyday life, reality and intellect are
different. From the language of the Buddha’s world, they are the
same, since there is no intellectual division that governs the Buddha’s
world.

Dan comments:

>From the everyday perspective, free will and determinism are different
and mutually exclusive notions. The MOQ brings them together, however,
by stating that the dilemma of free will vs determinism doesn't come
up. They are both correct in a conventional static quality sense. But
from a Dynamic perspective, one free of any intellectual divisions,
they are illusions.

Does that help you see better what I am getting at?

> [...]
>> free will is to ignore a good deal of what RMP has to say in LILA,
>> does it not?
>

> Steve:
> I'm not one of those that sets out to "improve" the MOQ or make my
> mark on it. I see the MOQ as the philosophy of RMP, and that is what I
> am trying to articulate. I'm not talking about ignoring anything
> Pirsig said on the topic. I'm explaining my understanding of what
> Pirsig has to say about it. All I'm talking about is condemning the
> SOM concepts of free will and determinism in the way that Pirsig
> does--as the result of asking a question with a bad premise.
>
> Pirsig in Lila:
> "It isn't Lila that has quality; it's Quality that has Lila.  Nothing
> can have Quality.  To have something is to possess it, and to possess
> something is to dominate it.  Nothing dominates Quality.  If there's
> domination and possession involved, it's Quality that dominates and
> possesses Lila.  She's created by it.  She's a cohesion of changing static
> patterns of this Quality.  There isn't any more to her than that.  The
> words Lila uses, the thoughts she thinks, the values she holds, are the end
> product of three and a half billion years of the history of the entire
> world.  She's a kind of jungle of evolutionary patterns of value.  She
> doesn't know how they all got there any more than any jungle knows how it
> came to be."
>
> Steve:
> In the MOQ, all we are and in fact experience itself is Value. We are
> not determined by values. We are not "free to choose" our values. We
> ARE our values. "Choosing" is the manifestation of what we ARE as sets
> of values with the capacity to respond to DQ. In the MOQ, it is the
> fact of such choices (value patterns) from which "the will" or the
> self is inferred rather than the other way around. In contrast, the
> SOM notion of free will is of an autonomous subject with metaphysical
> primacy. dmb keeps saying that if we drop the notion of a choosing
> subject (though he does say he drops the notion of a metaphysical
> soul), then morality goes out window. I see that as about the most
> un-MOQish thing one could possibly say. The MOQ is about asserting an
> understanding of the world as a moral order through _denying_ the
> subject-object picture. Instead of free will as the possession of a
> self, Pirsig retools the notion of freedom (note that in the quote you
> posted he shifts from "free will" to "freedom") as the capacity to
> respond to DQ. And in LC he says that you are going to talk about free
> will in MOQ terms as this capacity, then you may as well say that
> rocks and trees and atoms have free will. But let's not slip the SOM
> version of a freely choosing subject with metaphysical primacy in
> through the back door here. Pirsig's notion of freedom associated with
> DQ is very different from traditional SOM free will that is suppose to

Dan:

First of all, I tend to agree with you that there is no need to equate
morality and causality. I addressed this to dmb but he didn't respond,
at least not that I noticed. Still, I have to ask you: in what sense
is the notion of free will and freedom different? And as to LC where
RMP says what you say he says, I am having problems finding just what
you're talking about. Perhaps if you have the time, you might point me
to the exact quote.

Thank you,

Dan