On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 17:26:58 +0000, Billy Wright wrote:
> We are not going to release any source code involving our third party
> partners as this would be clear violations of our agreements with
> them.

This here seems to be the root of the misunderstanding.

Why is violation of these agreement(s) more important than the violation
of the agreement required in order to use MPD source code? The GPL is
the agreement that defines the terms under which MPD may be used, no
different than any private agreements which Cary Audio signed up for in
order to use those the mentioned third party partners' code.

Max is asking that you abide by those terms. If you cannot, then Cary
Audio's distribution of MPD is an infringement of copyright and further
distribution must cease.

--Ben