Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 08:49:25 -000
From: Mike Millen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing the modem?


  DL>>JG>NL>ATMx&W to change it permanently again.  There are only so
  DL>many times you can &W your modem, though, before it will quit
  DL>>JG>NL>registering permanent changes, but that number is in the
  DL>>JG>NL>thousands.  Hope this helps.
  DL>>
  DL>>JG>Have you got a source I can refer to so I can find out some
  DL>more on this finite life &W feature?
  DL>>
  DL>>
  DL>MM> Check any Data Book for EEPROM devices.
  DL>MM>
  DL>MM> Most of them will give you 10,000 to 100,000 write cycles...
  DL>MM> I shouldn't worry about your modem.

  DL>I don't think that memory is written to EPROM, I think you will find
  DL>it is a few bytes of CMOS.

Nope... (maybe in *very* old modems)

Nowadays they all use EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable
Read-Only Memory).

If it *were* CMOS memory then there wouldn't be *any* restriction on
how often you could rewrite the settings. However you'd also need a
battery in the modem to maintain those settings.

Mike


--



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to