Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:28:46 -500
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing the modem?


On Wednesday the 9th of February 2000 at 8.56am, Nettamer List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

NL>Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 08:49:25 -000 From: Mike Millen
NL><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: silencing the modem?


NL>DL>>JG>NL>ATMx&W to change it permanently again.  There are
NL>only so DL>many times you can &W your modem, though, before
NL>it will quit DL>>JG>NL>registering permanent changes, but
NL>that number is in the DL>>JG>NL>thousands.  Hope this helps.
NL>DL>> DL>>JG>Have you got a source I can refer to so I can
NL>find out some DL>more on this finite life &W feature? DL>>
NL>DL>> DL>MM> Check any Data Book for EEPROM devices. DL>MM>
NL>DL>MM> Most of them will give you 10,000 to 100,000 write
NL>cycles... DL>MM> I shouldn't worry about your modem.

NL>DL>I don't think that memory is written to EPROM, I think you
NL>will find DL>it is a few bytes of CMOS.

NL>Nope... (maybe in *very* old modems)

NL>Nowadays they all use EEPROM (Electrically Erasable
NL>Programmable Read-Only Memory).

NL>If it *were* CMOS memory then there wouldn't be *any*
NL>restriction on how often you could rewrite the settings.
NL>However you'd also need a battery in the modem to maintain
NL>those settings.

I had a modem with a battery in it.  :-)  It was a Multi-Tech 224E
2400bps w/ error correction and data compression.  :-)  As for CMOS,
though, who knows?  Could they be using some sort of matereal that
stores bits as electrostatic charges?


-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI

We're said to be a nation of skeptics; I'll believe it when I see it.

NTReader v0.17a(O)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to