Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:27:32 -500
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: silencing the modem?
On Tuesday the 8th of February 2000 at 1.48pm, Nettamer List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
NL>Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:26:08 0 From: John Gregory
NL><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: silencing the modem?
NL>Hi Tom
NL>On 07/02/00 Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
NL>NL>ATMx&W to change it permanently again. There are only so
NL>many NL>times you can &W your modem, though, before it will
NL>quit NL>registering permanent changes, but that number is in
NL>the NL>thousands. Hope this helps.
NL>Have you got a source I can refer to so I can find out some
NL>more on this finite life &W feature?
Joe Frankiewicz of 3Com, if he's still working for the U.S. Robotics
side of things, could confirm or refute this. I know that it was
discussed in a FidoNet echo -- USR_MODEMS -- in which he used to
participate. I understand that the rated number of writes to the non-
volatile RAM of a 3Com Courier V.Everything (I've got one, but mine was
pre-3Com, except for the last flash upgrade) is something like 100,000
times, but Joe F. says that they took their lab Couriers beyond 200,000
writes before they quit. Now, Rockwell, Lucent, the late lamented
Hayes, Practical Peripherals, Cardinal, and the other Hayes companies,
Diamond Supra, etc., etc., might have different ratings on their
respective non-volatile RAM, but I make it a practice *never* to put &W
in a modem init. string, and I always advise others to use &W only when
needed. YMMV, and all that stuff.
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
NTReader v0.17a(O)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************