Date: Thr, 29 Jun 2000 08:49:40 -700
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timeout Expired

MIME version: 1.0
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
boundary="--tcpsmtp060290200007021006"
--tcpsmtp060290200007021006
  

Jerry:

      There may be more going on than your modem settings. Here 
are some basic thoughts that may or may not help.

     <> XTs and their 8250 or 16450 UARTs will not allow port 
        initialization speeds greater than 19,200 bps. That's to say 
        you can configure for higher speeds (i.e. 38,400) and 
        Net-Tamer will seem to properly take control of your modem. 
        However, communication between your computer and your modem 
        while online with an ISP could be garbled. This would or could
        explain the authentication error.

     <> You may need to experiment with your modem settings for level 
        of MNP and whether compression is turned on or off. You might 
        benefit from giving your ISP a voice call to their help desk 
        or tech support to ask what level of MNP their modems use and
        whether they require that compression be turned on or off by
        you when you call in.

     <> In order to avoid problems that arise from use of multiple 
        communication programs where the settings of one may be left 
        behind when another is started, always start out a Net-Tamer modem 
        initialization string with "ATZ^M" (don't leave out the "^M"!) 
        Your modem may need time to clear registers and other settings 
        as an ATZ is executed. Therefore, you may wish to use 
        something like ATZ^M~~ATxxxxx where xxxxx represents the 
        various other settings you'll have to include on your own in 
        the modem initialization string.

     <> You may have a dirty phone line. That's to say there is a lot 
        of electronic noise introduced because of a number of factors 
        I will not address here. The higher your connect speed, the 
        more sensitive your modem shall be to such noise on a phone 
        line. You may not have noticed the problem with your 2,400 bps 
        modem whereas it's showing up now with a faster modem. If MNP 
        and compression are turned on, the modem may be spending so 
        much time attempting to correct for noise that Net-Tamer can't 
        get in edgewise to execute its login script. Ergo, you 
        encounter a timeout from your ISP.

                 Walter Scott

On 2000-06-29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and 
the Net-Tamer List Group:

 JH> I've used the latest XT version of Net-Tamer on a PC/XT successfully
 JH> using a ZOOM 2400 bps modem and Uncle Dave's suggested string for
 JH> it. However, when trying to upgrade to either a US Robotics Courier
 JH> HST or a US Robotics Sportster 9600, no matter what I've tried, I
 JH> continue to get "timeout expired" and "Error in authentication"
 JH> messages.  I've used the "DELAY 10, PPP" script to dial on with the
 JH> ZOOM 2400 with no problem.  Why can't I get these other modems to
 JH> work?  I know that this PC/XT can handle a faster modem, since I've
 JH> heard others do it. What am I missing?
 
[[[[[ News & Views 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week. That's The Net ]]]]]

Net-Tamer V 1.09.2  - Registered

--tcpsmtp060290200007021006



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to