Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:12:37 +0700
From: "Ronald C.Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timeout Expired
On 2000-06-29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>I see, but I was not referring to password authenticity; I meant
>that I'm trying to combine appropriate hardware from the *time
>period* of circa 1986 for this PC/XT -- I was making *aesthetic*
>considerations, not technical ones. In other words, perhaps a 2400
>bps ZOOM modem is more appropriate for the technology of a PC/XT in
>1986, than a US Robotics Courier HST from 1989. That's all.
>Authentic hardware, authentic peripherals. Would you know the
>approximate age of a ZOOM 2400 -- it's off white, about 12" x 8" x
>1.5", with an on/off button in the front right side? There's no
>information underneath it, and I don't have a manual, so I'm lucky
>Dave Colston had an appropriate initialization string for it.
>As I've said, authentic hardware is more interesting to me at the
>moment than high speed on this machine.
>Jerry
The Zoom is probably from about the same period as the USR, probably not
as old as 1986. I bought a Zoom 2400HC internal modem around 1988-89,
as I recall. That would be about the same era as the USR. The HST
models preceded the V.32 model USR, but they made both types for a while
before they made a V.Everything that included V.32, V.32bis, HST, etc.
It seems to me that the Courier HST is just as authentic for the time
period of the XT as is the Zoom, maybe more so, because most people
buying modems in 1986 would have bought either Hayes or USR rather than
Zoom. The other question is whether you want a working modem or just
one that looks authentic <g>.
Ronald Dailey
p.s. It just occurred to me that you might be able to find out when that
Zoom modem was manufactured, assuming that there isn't anything on the
modem itself, by writing to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and giving them the
serial number of the modem along with the model number and type. They
may have records going that far back. You might be able to do the same
thing with the USR, though I'm not sure now where you'd write, given
that USR is being spun off from 3Com.
--
RCD
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************