Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:12:51 -600
From: "Jerry J. Haumberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timeout Expired
On 2000-06-29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
Hello Mr. Scott and Mr. Daily:
>There may be more going on than your modem settings. Here
>are some basic thoughts that may or may not help.
Yes. It's fortunate that all the possible settings are listed
cleanly underneath the US Robotics Courier, but that's where it
ends. The factory setting is AT&F, but it doesn't help.
><> XTs and their 8250 or 16450 UARTs will not allow port
>initialization speeds greater than 19,200 bps. That's to say
>you can configure for higher speeds (i.e. 38,400) and
>Net-Tamer will seem to properly take control of your modem.
>However, communication between your computer and your modem
>while online with an ISP could be garbled. This would or could
>explain the authentication error.
The UART on this PC/XT is 16450, which *should* allow for at least
a 14.4 connect (I know of others who do on XTs quite successfully).
This Robotics modem indicates V.32, and so I used Dave's string:
ATZ^M AT&S7=58X6&B1&H1&R2&C1&D2&S1
The ZOOM 2400 string, which works like a charm, is:
ATZ^M AT&C1&D2&K3&S1
This ZOOM string hasn't failed yet -- but the "fancy" Robotics
modem appears helpless.
Oh well. My main concern is approximate "authenticity" of hardware
for this PC/XT from 1986. The Robotics modem is dated 1989; the ZOOM,
I don't know (would anyone venture a guess at its age?) -- so my
only benefit would be speed with the Robotics, and probably less
authenticity than that of the ZOOM.
>You may need to experiment with your modem settings for level
>of MNP and whether compression is turned on or off. You might
>benefit from giving your ISP a voice call to their help desk
>or tech support to ask what level of MNP their modems use and
>whether they require that compression be turned on or off by
>you when you call in.
Well, I think in the case of this XT, I should strive for
authenticity, not productivity. Nonetheless, if you have any
further suggestions, I think I won't risk creating an hysterical
ruckus at the ISP office over this "dinosaur"... ;-)
>You may have a dirty phone line. That's to say there is a lot
>of electronic noise introduced because of a number of factors
>I will not address here. The higher your connect speed, the
>more sensitive your modem shall be to such noise on a phone
>line. You may not have noticed the problem with your 2,400 bps
>modem whereas it's showing up now with a faster modem. If MNP
>and compression are turned on, the modem may be spending so
>much time attempting to correct for noise that Net-Tamer can't
>get in edgewise to execute its login script. Ergo, you
>encounter a timeout from your ISP.
I'd be surprised if the line is "dirty", because I've had it checked
and corrected a few years ago and always get 50k plus connections
with my V.90 modems on other machines with this same line...
Thank you!
Jerry *** delighted with PC DOS and WordStar ***
-*- Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be...
Net-Tamer V 1.11.2 - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************