Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:47:41 -0600
From: "Jerry J. Haumberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timeout Expired


From: Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, June 29, 2000 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: Timeout Expired


Walter --

Excuse me for answering this with IE 4.0 -- someone crashed my previous
Net-Tamer e-mail cache with a 250K file (shudder!)... and I had to retrieve
your message with a second pass on a different machine...

>     Port initialization speed and connect speed are two different 
>concepts. One is expressed as COM-port-to-modem speed and the other as
>modem-to-modem speed respectively. The 16450 UART will handle port 
>initialization as high as 115,200. Whether you can successfully control a 
>modem from a COM port on a 16450 UART set to that speed, or conduct an 
>online session without serious errors, is another matter. I have 
>experience with both UARTs and know that 19,200 bps is as high as you 
>should go with their initialization speed. You can dial out to achieve a 
>CONNECT speed at ANY level the modem offers and the receiving modem 
>compatibly accepts up to 19,200, if you like.

Yes, I've tried various connect speeds, and I was aware that 19,200 bps
should be about as high as I should go with an UART of 16450.

>     If you are referring to an authenticity error from your ISP in 
>the comments quoted below, such has nothing to do with the 
>authenticity of your hardware; it has to do with the authenticity of 
>yourself as the person logging in at the time the error is issued. It 
>probably means that the host server didn't recognize your account 
>information because characters were dropped or garbage characters were 
>transmitted with valid data as Net-Tamer tried to log in. This can 
>happen with either a COM port set to an initialization speed 
>higher than the UART's buffer can handle, or on "dirty" phone lines. I 
>take it the latter may not be a problem if you are using the same line to 
>achieve 50K connections with a 56k modem on another computer.

I see, but I was not referring to password authenticity; I meant that
I'm trying to combine appropriate hardware from the *time period* of
circa 1986 for this PC/XT -- I was making *aesthetic* considerations,
not technical ones.  In other words, perhaps a 2400 bps ZOOM modem
is more appropriate for the technology of a PC/XT in 1986, than a
US Robotics Courier HST from 1989.  That's all.  Authentic hardware,
authentic peripherals.  Would you know the approximate age of a ZOOM
2400 -- it's off white, about 12" x 8" x 1.5", with an on/off button in the
front right side?  There's no information underneath it, and I don't have
a manual, so I'm lucky Dave Colston had an appropriate initialization
string for it.

As I've said, authentic hardware is more interesting to me at the moment
than high speed on this machine.

Jerry



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to