Mike Christie wrote:
> Hannes Reinecke wrote:

>>> Are we talking about the same thing that keeps coming up :)
>>>
>> I know. Main reason here is that I didn't have time to investigate
>
> It is ok. I like repeating what I said in this mail more than fixing
> aic7xxx bugs, so as long as you fix that driver you can do anything here :)
>

>> this further, so I'll have to fall back to answer the same results
>> I had the last time ...
>>
>>> I swear someone from Voltaire asked this before. You gave the same reply.
>>> And then I said you can increase node.session.initial_login_retry_max
>>> so we retry the login for all cases (almost all not CHAP or target not
>>> there errors). If we get -EHOSTUNREACH we will retry up to
>>> node.session.initial_login_retry_max times (there is a 1 second delay
>>> between retries so it is a delay of node.session.initial_login_retry_max
>>> seconds). I then said that for -EHOSTUNREACH I can add a check so that we
>>> always test for this and always retry so the user does not have to set
>>> node.session.initial_login_retry_max but I was not sure if there was a case
>>> where we would not want to retry.
>>>
>> Problem is that there are valid cases for which we should _not_ retry an
>> -EHOSTUNREACH failure case. So I wouldn't retry for EHOSTUNREACH always.
>> But increasing the initial_login_retry_max value would really help here.
>> Hmm. Will have to check, but this seems like a viable route.
>>
>> Sorry for not being responsive, but I've been kept really busy recently.
>>

> No problem.
>
> I have been having our users try initial_login_retry_max = 60 and they
> have reported success. For iscsistart which red hat and fedora uses for
> the root session in the initramfs I just set it to 120.
>
> For the default let me up the default to something longer than 4.

Actually this was bad. If we have to wait for the login_timeout to fire
then initial_login_retry_max = 4 was a nice round number and the max
time we had to wait was 1 minute. If I just increase it (tried 45
stupidly first), it increases the possible max default wait to 11 minutes :(

So what I did was make initial_login_retry_max just be the max number of
initial iscsi login timeouts we can withstand and then let other initial
login failures retry for up to initial_login_retry_max * login_timeout.