Hi,

@Felix: you are kidding are you? We cannot take another breath without choking
on it. Sure there
are many positive things about JavaFX but in the real world I can't be happy
over and over again about
the same things. A university can just devlop until a certain point, but we
have a running bussiness
where we need to decide the future of the underlaying technology.

This is my very first post to this mailing list. My collegue tobi is an active
member of this community.
He is head of the java devlopement department in our company and I am the
counterpart by managing the
backend native codes and the interfacing to JNI/Java for the upper layers.
Since Javafx could be a game changer for our company we have had internal
workshops for the developers
to get a common sense about the furture of development directions. This summer
we focused our development
on JavaFX for further products. This meant reworking all UI-stuff, cleaning
APIs and fixing JNI for java8.

Tobi was soo excited to see the new technologies and his presentation to our
fellow developers has been
more than ethusiastic. It sounded almost like the old dream
"code-once-run-anywhere" comes true. The closer
JavaOne got and the more session of interest for us has been canceled, the more
we got fed up over here.
As a result non of the session that had been a sort of interest for us had been
held. Just to summarize
our feeling about that, we are taking this really personally. There is
investment of money and time on
one side and on the other side it is personal investment into a future
technology.

I would like to give you an overview of the things that happend and how they
appear over here.

What did we heard over here from JavaOne?

1. JavaFX is still in development
2. Dukepad is released
3. Oracle wong a sailing cup
(4. Javafx runs in a browser)

I'll start at the bottom:

(4. When Javafx runs in a browser, why do I need it? I could use JavaScript and
web technologies as well.
This is quite a failure of time investment. Sure write-once-run-anywhere
applies but all tough real world
applications are not buildable since there is no native interfacing and won't
be cross platform in the near future.)

3. Larry Ellison spent 200 million dollar to win a sailing cup.
I don't want to image what Oracle could have been done to revolutionize the
world. I don't speak only about JavaFX,
there is a lot to be done with the right power. But doesn't lead to much here.

2. Wow, there is a JavaFX enabled Dukepad. Beeing a soldering nerd myself,
hacking firmware and much cool stuff
in my spare time it really kicked me in the first place. Then I grounded when I
have seen that it was a childish puzzle
with lego blocks. The longer I think about that, the longer I am getting angry
to see a 100 men powered development
team to build a demo on a demo board for a hand full nerds. Well that would be
ok, if Oracle said that this is a demo
on a prototyping board and the important platforms will follow soon. No word
about iOS, Android, Windows8.
Do you really believe that there are many people to build a Tablet like this? I
am really sure non of the major
hardware manufacturer will build a tablet on top of this platform soon since
Android is also free to us and is
much more attractive to the end-user. The only thing that I can image is that
Oracle comes up with their own
iPad-Killer in the near future (don't wait too long) otherwise this decision
make no sense to me.

1. JavaFX is in active development is the only great news for me. As of today
it looks like a major development for
years that is not released for actual use. For me it is currently just a very
big shiny demo.

short history summarize:
------------------------
4 years ago when javafx1 hit's the world, desktop use was okay. JavaFX1
couldn't really convince due to an strange way
of design. It is okay to make an mistake and to learn from it, so JavaFX2 was
create. The software design is outstanding
and the potential is not even comparable from my point of view. Well, it was
already time to look at the other platforms.
2012 it was announced (but canceled) to run on iOS/Android and now 2013 it was
announced again (but canceled).
From our current point of view it looks like we just have to use the already
developed parts on desktop and for mobile
we will have to start a complete new development branch. This will work for a
short time but in the long term we'll
probably step back from JavaFX and even Java and develop our own abstraction
layer. This is sad and costs a lot of time
that we would need to build our real products.

To make it clear. Everytime I read arm-build I think there is further
development in the right direction, but wrong
it's still the same linux-arm-build. We don't need an arm build for javafx. We
need an iOS-build, an Android-build
and a Windows-build for the jre and javafx. Don't get me wrong you can
prototype where ever you want even on Pi, but
don't forget to deploy to a platform of importance.

One more thing:
---------------
To be honest ADF is kind of a myth to me. I see some use cases for a technology
like this but not many. It's always
the same lame banking software.
Okay, ADF is a really easy to use in business software (banking,insurance and
so on) and very small and easy projects on the other side.
If a customer has a little more demand on new technologies you'll be lost with
ADF, then comes JavaFX in the game.
Porting from ADF to JavaFX should be that hard, but you cannot deploy it on the
same platforms like ADF. There is a gap
in the portfolio from my point of view.

these are my 2 cents
Matthias