openocd-development-boun...@lists.berlios.de wrote:
> If you don't have time to work on OpenOCD, then I don't have any
> problems with that. The world is full of smart people who could have,
> but don't have time to, contribute to OpenOCD.
[...]
> If this means that we loose those contributors who can't or won't take
> time time to learn Git and how to configure and us Gerrit, then that's
> really a non-issue, because maintainers are not going to spend their
> time to save the contributors this effort.

This is an interesting point of view. I have no doubt that gerrit makes
life easier for the maintainers, but there is the barrier of new thing
to learn and setup hassle for a new contributor, vs the old system used
by many projects of sending patches to a mailing list. You will lose
some valuable contributions and contributors because of this.

Also the apparent attitude of "screw you, we don't care if it's hard, it
makes our life easy" is offputting.

I have a few patches in OpenOCD and one bug I found the other day that I
was thinking about working on and sending a patch for. But honestly,
having to set up for gerrit workflow makes me less likely to do either.

If OpenOCD suffers from a lack of maintainer time and effort but is
overrun with enthusastic contributors, then the gerrit thing seems like
a good idea.

If on the other hand the maintainers are active and keen to encourage
new contributors, and the project is suffering from lack of contributor
effort, then it seems like it will not be good for project health.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere between the two.

This is intended to be an objective bit of third-party insight, I am not
anti-gerrit - it seems like a nice tool. certainly I am a fan of CI.

I apprecite OpenOCD, I'd like to see the project grow in scope and
maturity, but this additional barrier to contributing does put me and
others off contributing in future.

--
Jon Povey
jon.po...@racelogic.co.uk

Racelogic is a limited company registered in England. Registered number 2743719
.
Registered Office Unit 10, Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks,
MK18 1TB .

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by
Racelogic Ltd for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is
directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you
have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from
your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the
error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected. The
views expressed by the sender of this communication do not necessarily
represent those of Racelogic Ltd. Please note that Racelogic reserves the right
to monitor e-mail communications passing through its network