openocd-development-boun...@lists.berlios.de wrote:
> Jon Povey wrote:
>> this additional barrier to contributing does put me and others off
>> contributing in future.
>
> Using Git is also a barrier for some, perhaps even for many. Gerrit
> is new, so sure there will be resistance. Maybe sometime it will be
> just as common as Git itself.
>
> I think the learning curve for Git is much steeper than for Gerrit.

For sure. But I've had to learn git already for other reasons :)

> Please look at the updated HACKING file, or my previous email, for an
> overview of the quick and simple steps to use Gerrit:
>
> You need an OpenID from somewhere (let me know if you want
> one from me)
> You need to register on a web page and pick a username
> You need to set an HTTP password or upload a public SSH key
>
> The above takes not two minutes.

A bit of a simplification, you also need to do the git-side setup, and
have the general slowdown of fumbling around a bit until you get the
idea of the new workflow.
But not a huge amount of work, I agree.

> An interesting fact is that in the project where I've seen Gerrit
> introduced there were several new contributors sending commits,
> who had previously never been seen on the mailing list. I was
> surprised, but in a good way!

There will be new contributors coming along to projects all the time, of
course.. Though I suppose maybe the gerrit way of doing things could
be preferable to some as it involves less human interaction and
discussion on mailing lists, maybe for people who are wary of getting
flamed for incorrect email setup (or signatures - sorry!) or who are
not confident in their English.

Great if gerrit works well for OpenOCD, I hope it does.
I just wanted to make the point that it does involve some extra hassle
to get started contributing, and that extra barrier and possible
negative effects did not seem to have been mentioned. Most of the
discussion seemed to be maintainers or energetic contributors enthusing
about how jazzy gerrit was going to be.

--
Jon Povey
jon.po...@racelogic.co.uk

Racelogic is a limited company registered in England. Registered number 2743719
.
Registered Office Unit 10, Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks,
MK18 1TB .

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by
Racelogic Ltd for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is
directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you
have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from
your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the
error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected. The
views expressed by the sender of this communication do not necessarily
represent those of Racelogic Ltd. Please note that Racelogic reserves the right
to monitor e-mail communications passing through its network