Jon Povey wrote:
> this additional barrier to contributing does put me and others off
> contributing in future.

Using Git is also a barrier for some, perhaps even for many. Gerrit
is new, so sure there will be resistance. Maybe sometime it will be
just as common as Git itself.

I think the learning curve for Git is much steeper than for Gerrit.

Please look at the updated HACKING file, or my previous email, for an
overview of the quick and simple steps to use Gerrit:

You need an OpenID from somewhere (let me know if you want one from me)
You need to register on a web page and pick a username
You need to set an HTTP password or upload a public SSH key

The above takes not two minutes.

Once that has been done, git push on your command line or in your GUI
sends commits to Gerrit.

Setting up Gerrit is a one-time thing, and it allows much quicker
workflow for you, other contributors, the reviewers and the
maintainers.

An interesting fact is that in the project where I've seen Gerrit
introduced there were several new contributors sending commits,
who had previously never been seen on the mailing list. I was
surprised, but in a good way!

//Peter