On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 10:55 -0800, Bryan Cantrill wrote:

> > > Do you actually have proof that there are people who will contribute to
> > > OpenSolaris code that is currently under the CDDL if it is dual-licensed
> > > or single licensed under GPLv3 ?
> > >
> > > Or is this assumption based on the behaviour of the case you site ?
> > >
> > > If there is proof I'd love to see it because it seems that nobody on
> > > either side of this debate (I see at least a triangle: CDDL only / dual
> > > CDDL and GPLv3 / GPLv3 only) [ me included!! ] actually has any evidence
> > > only opinions about what might happen.
> >
> > Well, on pro-GPLv3 side we at least have some precedence where CDDL
> > hurts. Again most visible: cdrecord is a good one and Debian community
> > not acceptance of CDDL is another one.
> >
> > On pro-CDDL side we have nothing... just opinions, emotions and fear.
>
> Then allow me to add a data point:  the CDDL was a -- and perhaps the --
> major reason that Apple went ahead with a DTrace port (and apparently a ZFS
> port as well) to Leopard.  Apple told us in no uncertain terms that
> the GPL would have been a non-starter.  Does that mean that a dual license
> would have also been a non-starter?  Hard to say -- but one can absolutely
> say that (1) the CDDL was critical to Apple's adoption, and that (2) Apple's
> adoption of OpenSolaris technology has been hugely validating for
> OpenSolaris.

i'm not sure this data point applicable. Apple is just another company,
not a community. Apple decided to take it not just because of CDDL, but
because ZFS is so f**king great stuff, isn't it? Besides, we are talking
about the possibility of dual-licensing, so Apple could still take ZFS
on terms of CDDL part of dual-licensing agreement.

> To me personally, the CDDL is a great license that accurately conveys
> the zeitgiest of the OpenSolaris community.  In my opinion, dual licensing
> doesn't solve the problems that we do have (e.g., lowering the barriers to
> non-Sun contributions), while giving us a bunch of new problems that we
> _don't_ have (e.g. license-based forks that become unresolvable).

this is something I hope Sun lawyers could resolve.

--
Erast