For quite a long time my local contra dance had a lower admission price for the
first half hour, with teaching during that time, to encourage everyone to come
for the teaching. (I think it would have worked somewhat better if the reason
for that had been more explicit, something like your suggestion.)

Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org