Chiming in to note a pattern in our area that differs from what some of these other dances report, which is that at Sautee, Atlanta, and Gainesville (all NE Georgia) dances it is common for most new dancers to arrive on time and for there to be about as many experienced dancers that come early and help out with the beginners' lesson as there are beginners. In Sautee this Saturday for ContraForce they'll probably have so many attending the lesson that the lesson circle (at the start of the lesson) will have trouble fitting around the perimeter of the large old gym, with some half of those being experienced dancers.

I don't know why that is (on time, roughly as many experienced coming early). Cultural pattern? It just tends to happen so I don't think about it.

Other notes ... re socialize before the dance ... Sautee established itself over decade(s) as a family friendly dance. For many years they hosted a pot luck before every dance until the core folks who did most of the work got exhausted. I don't know their current post-covid pattern, but pre-covid they still did pot lucks but just for the talent and volunteers helping setup.

-Heitzso
Gainesville, Georgia

The idea I have been cogitating on for a while is to somehow change people's perception of the starting time causing a bit of a cultural shift.  Our dance lesson is at 7:00, dance at 7:30.  I would really love it if we could get the majority of folks to embrace the idea that everyone come at 7:00.  At our last dance we had about 2-3 experienced dancers participating in the beginners lesson.  That's a challenge with about 30 new students.  I imagine new folks could easily feel like "a tribe apart" with beginners at 7 and everyone else come at 7:30.  If we could get the majority of our experienced dancers to come at 7:00 and help teach the lesson that would be so grand.

Have any of you been successful in making that shift? Changing the attitude to.... "dance starts at 7:00 and we spend the first 30 minutes welcoming and teaching the beginning dancers because we all know the dance will be much more fun that way".  If we could make that leap, I think newbies would feel more welcome and likely to return.  It's unrealistic to expect everyone to show up at 7, but I am planning to reach out to several experienced dancers to see if we can get more of them on the floor for the lesson.

Also considering "doors open at 6:30" to give folks time to socialize before beginning the lesson/dance at 7:00.