In follow up to Jeff, my series is in the same general area but we differ a
bit in type of crowd (Cambridge/BIDA = city/public transit/skewed younger,
mine/Concord MA = suburbs/older professionals/car culture ~25 miles outside
city) and timing (BIDA = weekend, mine = weekday) yet we have a similar
logistical timeline for the most part.

FWIW, by way of one example, here's the effective timeline for our suburban
series (posted as a 7:30 - 10:30 dance):

6:30 organizers arrive, open hall, basic logistics and sound set up starts
6:45 door sitter arrives and prepares for admissions
6:50 most musicians have arrived and cabling/level setting under way, door
ready for admissions
7:00 caller has arrived, connects with band and organizers
7:05 basic sound settings complete for musicians present, stage monitor
mixing underway
(good news is we have many repeating musicians and saved mixer presets for
them)
7:10 published beginner lesson start (ideally, sound is now out of the way
so caller can
teach w/out mic on the floor)
7:15 latest beginner lesson start; critical mass of experienced folks in
the hall and available to join
7:25 ideally beginner lesson complete; band plays warm up tune for mixing
mains in the hall if not completed earlier,
caller's level is set - ready for welcome and first walkthrough
7:30 dance start (~2/3 to 3/4 of final crowd size present, many coming
after work/dinner)
9-9:10 break begins (many beginners leave, plus ~30% of crowd due to early
morning start), ~10 min break
10:25 final waltz
10:30 dance ends, sound off, pack out begins
11:00 (hopefully) ready to lock hall

Most callers fit 12 +/- 1 called dance slots into this timeline.

Regarding the beginner lesson, note the short duration. In the early 2000s
it was uncommon for area dances here to have a beginner lesson at all (yet
with robust dance attendance) but most have added them now. I'm strongly of
the opinion anything over 15 minutes for a lesson is too much - less
talking, fewer moves and more repeats for body sense acquisition instead.
By starting later we have more experienced folks available at what feels
like a "normal" time for them to show up AND more of the beginners
*actually present* to learn.

If you have a larger % of beginners, my take is you don't really need a
longer lesson because the first dances will need to be simple enough to
keep everyone together (effectively more of the lesson, in the line
context, in the moment). If fewer, you still don't need to overload
their brains with additional moves in the lesson which may then not be
needed until several dances in. Trust the experienced crew to help hold it
together and serve as guides while the material strives possibly higher,
but again teaching well any new bits in the moment & context of the line.
This may expect a bit more from your callers to pull off.