Hey everyone, I managed to finally sort this out.  The bone weights that were
displayed in the console as being too small, are I believe only the specific
vertexes that had little to no weight.  I re exported the .fbx file very
carefully making sure the rigging was right and the bones were set up properly.
 This fixed the distortion issue, so it was a model problem and not the shader
program.   Much to my happiness :).

I also did some deeper analysis of the frames and noticed that my animation
models were causing sever delays, when I exported the fbx models to play
animations the bone structure accidentally followed along, so for several
models that had fairly high poly counts, the skinning was being done on the
cpu.

I removed the bone structure from my anim models, and now the hands are the
only rigged structure on the scene and it makes use of skinning.vert with over
50 fps in debug mode!

Thanks to everyone with the patience to help me sort through this.  I still
don't understand what that 11 as a value for attribIndex means in the init()
method of RigTransformHardware, but maybe one day Ill figure that out :).