Mdu

I'm told the 6th annual Robert Sobukwe memorial lecture at Fort Hare, delivered
yesterday by Kwandiwe Kondlo, was superb.  As you'd know, Kondlo made extensive
research on the PAC in exile and collated vital records and relevant
information for his doctoral thesis done with the Rand Afrikaanse University
(now the University of Johannesburg).  I would be keen to read this
presentation.  Kondlo's dissertation is balanced and academically strong.  You
do not get this nowadays as emerging intellectuals curry favours with the
establishment or slant towards the conservative and/or neo-liberal approach.
Kondlo's research had the hallmarks of fairness similar to the authors of the
Oxford History of southern Africa.  I'm told he now works with the University
of the free State in their Centre of African Studies.  I'm certain that he will
have academic freedom in that institution, led by Vice Chancellor Jonathan
Jansen.  Jansen is a credible academic and is forthright with his views.  I
have worked with Jansen before when we eventually published a collection of
essays in 1992 entitled 'Knowledge is Power'.  It will really be up to Kondlo
to flourish in that environment.

The Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Trust is run by the family - Sobukwe's wife and
the children.  They have a few other trustees, including the Xolela Mangcu of
the Steve Biko Foundation.  They have done remarkable work, under the
circumstances, to lift Sobukwe's image from the doldrums to public prominence,
and pride of place in the hearts of the Azanian masses.  Various forums on
Sobukwe by the PAC have been seen to be sectarian and closed off from the
public at large. The hegemony of the Charterists have placed a heavy burden on
the PAC's influence of the public and the ignominious poll defeats since 1994
and the continuing leadership disputes have not helped at all.  The Africanist
school of thought is made of sterner stuff and has a lasting staying power
whatever the circumstances, and it will re-emerge forcefully to dominate the
thoughts and actions of the African people and wider society as we march
forward.  I believe Sobukwe's political legacy will be the rallying point,
hence his wider acceptance by the public.  The RMS Trust has challenges at
present but will come out strong eventually - I am working with them on
strategic matters and selected projects and their administration.

Izwe lethu iAfurika

Jaki