Gary, list,

I'd say that Peirce wrote the Carnegie application largely in the order of his classifications of sciences, to the extent that he discusses his work in them in the application.

The application's Memoir 1 is on the classification of theoretical sciences - which is not in keeping with his usual classifications, which put the topic of such classification itself in science of review - but I think that it was, among other things, a way to prepare his audience for the order into which he placed the succeeding memoirs.

Subsequently we find mathematics and (cenoscopic) philosophy, covered in that order, his classificatory order, in the application's constituent memoirs. (The Carnegie application does not ask for funding for work in idioscopy or in science of review).

In the philosophical memoirs, we find phenomenology (phaneroscopy), normative sciences, and metaphysics, in accordance with his classificatory order.

In the memoirs on logic, we find memoirs on stechiology, critic, and methodeutic, in accordance with his classificatory order.

In the section on the division of logic, he argues that icons, indices, and symbols are to be studied together, but on the other hand that names/terms, propositions, and arguments (which he therein defines as broadly as his later 'rhemes, dicisigns, arguments') each deserve their own department in stechiology; and indeed within the stechiological group of memoirs he has memoirs on terms, on propositions, and on arguments, in that order.

Within critic, we find deduction, induction, and abduction in his usual critical-logic ordering of them (decreasing security, order/vector of involution). Questions of how to conduct abductive inference carry over from its memoir in critic into one or more memoirs afterward in methodeutic - as per his usual later-years accounts of abduction's study's classificatory placements. The classificatory ordering of critic, then methodeutic, rather than the idea per se of theory of abduction, governs the ordering of the memoirs involving theory of abduction.

Sometimes in a memoir he anticipates what is to come in later memoirs, but it's usually pretty clear when that's what he's doing. I've argued in the past that the Carnegie application's ordering confirms that he had not changed his mind about the place of probability theory (as philosophically applied mathematics) as it appears in the Century Dictionary definition of science which he had written/approved years earlier. The discussion of principles of statistics appears in the critical-logic section on induction.

As to the four inquiry methods: I've never found Peirce saying that the discussion of the four inquiry methods and their competition or rivalry belongs in methodeutic. Maybe the basic outline belongs in presuppositions, insofar as the methods can be generated from general considerations of the normal, but detailed study of seems to me to belong in the study of methods of inquiry, perhaps some of it under the sub-heading of "course of research." What I did say was that I seemed to remember Peirce saying somewhere that at some point the more-traditional subject matter of philosophical rhetoric could be incorporated into his speculative rhetoric. Maybe I was thinking of this:

         In coming to Speculative Rhetoric, after the main conceptions
   of logic have been well settled, there can be no serious objection
   to relaxing the severity of our rule of excluding psychological
   matter, observations of how we think, and the like. The regulation
   has served its end; why should it be allowed now to hamper our
   endeavors to make methodeutic practically useful? But while the
   justice of this must be admitted, it is also to be borne in mind
   that there is a purely logical doctrine of how discovery must take
   place, which, however great or little is its importance, it is my
   plain task and duty here to explore." ('Minute Logic', CP 2.105-109,
   c. 1902) http://www.helsinki.fi/science/commens/terms/rhetoricspec.html

Best, Ben