Jeffrey D., list,

I've wanted to take Peirce literally about the FIRST rule of logic or reasoning, but the CP editors seem to treat it as methodeutical (i.e., belonging in logic's third department). In Volume 5 "Pragmatism and Pragmaticism," Book 3 "Unpublished Papers", one finds
 Chapter 6: Methods for Attaining Truth
§1. The First Rule of Logic [5.574-589 - this is not "F.R.L.', titled "First Rule of Reasoning" by eds., 1.135-140]
 §2. On Selecting Hypotheses

The First Rule of Logic, in its "F.R.L." version (http://web.archive.org/web/20120106071421/http://www.princeton.edu/~batke/peirce/frl_99.htm <http://web.archive.org/web/20120106071421/http://www.princeton.edu/%7Ebatke/peirce/frl_99.htm>) pertains to the presuppositions of logic, involving the embrace of fallibilism and discoverability. In the Carnegie application (1902), the presuppositions of logic http://www.cspeirce.com/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-04.htm precede even the definition and division of logic. (See the Table of Contents http://www.cspeirce.com/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/toc.htm).

But I have to admit that the First Rule has a distinctly methodeutical flavor. Skimming around, I don't at the moment find a discussion along the lines of "F.R.L." in the Carnegie application.

Best, Ben