“The Spinozist state, then, transforms *passion* into the servant of reason
by the rational understanding of man’s passionate nature.  Philosophy is
the highest power for all men, even though its teaching must be presented
in a form suited for the public mind.”  ~ Strauss and Cropsey

Is CP 5.189, then, the perfect form by which to communicate to the public
mind the means by which to transform *passion* into the servant of reason
by the rational understanding of man’s passionate nature?

Why even talk about surprise and suspect if instead we can have beans and
bags…or p’s and q’s?

______

Jon,

I may have read wrongly but I recall Ben saying that it *is* a syllogism
and Edwina saying that it *is* modus ponens.  Besides, affirming the
consequent is fine if two things are the same, isn't it?  That is, your
conjecture may be different from my conjecture.  You might have the correct
conjecture and I can have the wrong conjecture.  But so long as I don't
know that you have the right conjecture, I will accuse you of affirming the
consequent.  What decides except evidence that is in the future, or at the
very least, a clear description of the relevance relation?

Best,

Jerry R