This means that 5.189 is NOT a syllogism.

  IF we follow 'sense 2' of the meaning of syllogism, then it is a three-term
logical format, operative in the deductive mode only. Not the inductive, not
the abductive.

Certainly, the argument of 'what is a syllogism' has been argued for centuries,
and yes, you can modify this basic format to include the IF-THEN argument
[modus ponens] as, eg, the major premise - but, you must still use the
syllogistic form of: Major Premise/Minor Premise/Conclusion.

The problem I have with calling 5.189 a syllogism, is that it is not deductive.
And, of course, there are only two terms, A and C. And, in the two premises
[major and minor] there is no universal, for the universal rule is 'being
developed' within the second premise as a hypothetical!

It is not a disjunctive syllogism since there is no 'either-negative or'
format. But is it a hypothetical syllogism - which uses the if-then form?  I
prefer to see this as a propositional logic, ...which would be IF C facts, THEN
A rule. There are C facts, and therefore, A rule.

This is hypothetical not deductive or inductive.

Edwina