Hello Jon, List,

The argument you are trying to reconstruct could be fleshed out more fully in a
number of ways. Here are a few suggestions for filling in some of the details a
bit more:

Major premiss:  Every inference is, in one way or another, valid as a pattern
of inference, including those that are instinctive. Those that appear to be
invalid are patterns of inference that are, themselves, valid, but the
appearance of invalidity is really due to the fact that we have misunderstood
what kind of inference it is (e.g., we think it is inductive, when it is really
abductive). Or, the apparent invalidity is really just a lack of soundness in
that something in the premisses involves an error on our part and it is really
false. As a form of inference, every retroductive conjecture that meets certain
conditions (e.g., it responds to a question occasioned by real doubt, it is
really explanatory, it is possible to deduce consequences that can be put to
the test, it is possible to make inductive inferences that will tend to show
the hypotheses is confirmed or disconfirmed by observations, the observations
that will be used to test the hypothesis are not the same observations that
will be used to make the inductive inference, etc.) is a valid abductive
inference--and hence has a logical character. Such arguments can, in time, be
the subject of further development in arguments that are more fully under our
conscious control. As such, they can be made into logical inferences that may
rise up to higher levels of assurance, including those of experience as well as
form.

Minor premiss:  The humble argument for the Reality of God is a retroductive
conjecture endorsed by instinctive reason. What is more, it has in fact be met
with the support of large communities of inquirers at different times and
places in human history and culture. In fact, it appears that the core
inferential patterns in the argument are prevalent in the thought of virtually
all reasonable human beings. Over time, different communities have developed
the instinctive hypothesis in a number of different ways, but the core ideas
seem to cut across all such communities--including those communities that are
quite spiritual in orientation as well as those that claim to be less spiritual
in orientation. Setting aside the particularities of how the conceptions have
been developed in different human communities, and focusing on the core ideas
that appear to be held in common, we can see that those core ideas can be
developed into hypotheses that can be affirmed in a responsible and
self-controlled manner by those who are deeply infused by the desire to learn
and who have a relatively refined sense of how to conduct their inquires
according to experimental methods.

Conclusion:  The humble argument for the Reality of God is logical in all three
senses--according to the assurance of instinct, experience and according to the
exact requirements of good logical form. We should remember, however, that this
is not a claim that the conclusion of the argument is true. Rather, the claim
is that the conclusion is plausible. While it may lack something by way of
security, it possesses much by way of uberty. In fact, our experience shows
that this grand hypothesis--which serves a remarkable totalizing and
synthesizing role in the great economy of our ideas--both within the realm of
our long growing commitments of common sense and in our most cutting edge
inquiries in the special sciences--has shown and continues to show great uberty
in the way that it informs the healthy growth of our aesthetic feelings, our
ethical practices and in the ongoing logical growth of our thought.

So, let us ask: does this hypothesis involving the conception of God involve
some kind of confusion on our part about the real character of the inference,
or does it rest on false premisses? Peirce's essay on "The Neglected Argument"
is a sustained effort to show that neither of these is the case. As such, it is
a reasonable hypothesis. Is the same true of the alternate hypotheses?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy