Jon, List

1) An IF-THEN argument, as you have set it up, removes the conditional and
interpretive factor inherent in an IF-THEN argument. That's because you have
inserted a moral condition, that suggests that IF one doesn't accept the  THEN
assertions in the list you provided, THEN, it suggests that Peirce's comments
were lies. But the NA paper still has to be interpreted, - something you reject
- and I do not interpret the term 'God' as you do - with your quite literal and
theist reading.

2) I repeat: the definitions, if taken literally,  in the 1908 NA paper do not
correlate with Peirce's earlier writings on the emergence of Mind and Matter;
the role of chance; the role of habit-formation. That is why I introduce the
suggestion of metaphor -

3) Your 'substitution' of 'universes' for 'categories' made no sense, as I
originally tried to explain to you - and failed, since you rarely accept any of
my comments as having any validity. And I don't agree with your new view - that
the universes are 'phenomenological and/or metaphysical manifestations of the
Categories'.  The Categories stand quite well on their own in a
phenomenological and metaphysical manner.

4) No- we don't agree on the 'principle of charity' since it seems, to me at
least, empty because it can serve, incorrectly, to justify any interpretation.

5) I totally and absolutely reject your view that 'not judging is itself a
judgment'. That's pure semantic sophistry.

You are essentially saying that, for example, there is no difference between:
'murdering a man, and that same man dying naturally in his bed'. After all, to
you, there is no practical difference [since that man is dead in both
instances] and therefore, for you, there is no conceptual difference. I don't
agree.

In addition, you reject the statistical reality of neutrality - which would
foul up a LOT of scientific evaluations! In X-case, a population makes a
decision about Y. ...based on a scale of 1 to 5. The value of '3' is NEUTRAL
and is a valid statistic, suggestion NO JUDGMENT. Your one-dimenstional
binarism rejects neutrality.  For you - everything MUST be a judgment; you
either accept or reject. I don't agree with this.

6) As for your conclusion that I'm in the  minority - well, that's another
statistical flaw since of course, you don't know - and the 'well-chosen
average' is not always right.

Edwina