1) Clark - yes, thank you for your comment on my comment:

ET: The vital importance of chance as an agential force in the emergence and
evolution of matter/mind ...

Of course I didn't mean an individual [human or god] force by the term of
'chance'!. I find that Jon jumps to disagree with me as a matter of habit.
Either that, or his tendency to read in a literal manner leads him to such
conclusions. I meant 'chance or Firstness or spontaneity as a causal force -
and there's plenty of comments in Peirce on just this state.

2) But I don't agree with Jon's comment that Firstness is 'pure nothing' in the
absence of continuity or Thirdness. Nothing-is-nothing, and none of the
categories can be applicable to it.

Firstness is a mode of organization of matter/mind that is novel, spontaneous -
and thus, has no habits. BUT, it is not 'nothing', for otherwise matter would
never evolve its new habits. Matter only evolves these new habits when
Firstness introduces a novel form [which is not 'nothing' but a novel form]
..and this novel form can then persist within its taking on of habits/Thirdness.

Edwina