Jerry, List:

I am not sure what you mean by "the scope of [my] literality," or the
precise distinction that you are drawing between "pragmatically" vs.
"philosophically" vs. "theologically."  Would you mind clarifying?

In any case, since it occurs only a few paragraphs later within the same
document, I assume that Peirce meant the same thing by "nothing" in this
sentence that he did in the first passage that I quoted.  "Not
determinately nothing ... Utter indetermination.  But a symbol alone is
indeterminate.  Therefore, Nothing, the indeterminate of the absolute
beginning, is a symbol."  After all, he went on to say, "... and therefore
pure nothing was such a chaos.  Then pure indeterminacy having developed
determinate possibilities, creation consisted in mediating between the
lawless reactions and the general possibilities by the influx of a symbol."

Regards,

Jon