Clark, List:

In various fragmentary drafts of "A Neglected Argument" that appear in R
841 and R 843, Peirce states each of the following.

"'God,' in what sense?" ask ye?  When so 'capitalized' (as we Americans
say) it is, throughout this paper, the definable proper noun, i.e. *Ens
necessarium*, whether Real or not:  He by Whom the three Universes of
Experience are, supposedly, getting, directly or indirectly, created from
Nothing--soberly, from less than a blank.

In this paper, the word 'God,' will be employed as the definable proper
name.  Accordingly, it signifies '*Ens necessarium*."  Reality is not
determined by signification; but supposing Him Real, then out of Nothing,
out of less than a Blank, He is creating the three Universes of Experience.

The proper name, God, will in this paper be applied to that Being, Real or
fictive, Who, out of Nothing, less than a blank, is creating all three
Universes of experience.

"God" in what sense? you ask. When so "capitalized" (as we Americans say,)
I intend it for the definable proper noun: Ens necessarium; whether Real or
not: He who is creating the three Universes of Experience from Nothing;
soberly, from less than a blank.

As an example of an apparently answerless problem that a pure analysis will
solve, take this.  Suppose first no laws to be, then that nothing exist,
finally that there is no Idea, no time, no consequence, even in
possibility.  Why should not this blank Nothing have been all?  The
analysis is not easy, as far as I see; but it can be performed; and it
leads to the conception of a *Necessary Being*, the foundation of theology,
though not of religion.

So I think we can say pretty definitively that Peirce's conception of God,
at least in 1908, does involve God actually creating out of "nothing,"
which he consistently characterizes as "less than a blank."

Regarding the Categories, I mean "govern" more like your second
characterization; not dependence, but how laws of nature (3ns) "govern"
actual objects (2ns) and their embodied monadic predicates (1ns).  Does
that make more sense?