From: Gary Richmond <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 3:57 AM
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Knowledge Bases in Inquiry, Learning,
Reasoning

Jon, list,

1.  I am inclined to agree with you on this.  As I understand it, the end of
semiosis--both its final cause and its termination--is the production of a
habit; a substance is a bundle of habits; and a material substance is a bundle
of habits that are so inveterate, it has effectively lost the capacity for
Habit-change.

Nicely said. And I would suggest that to the extent that a person has
"effectively lost the capacity for Habit-change," has become, say, 'set in his
ways' or 'married to his theories, that he is, in a sense, to that extent
intellectually 'hardened' or spiritually 'deadened'.

I'll be interested to see how you develop your idea that the "irreducibly
triadic action of semiosis" requires a Quasi-interpreter. I agree that
'things', especially those in nature, can serve as Quasi-utterers of degenerate
Signs.

2.  Something is a Sign by virtue of having a DO, an IO, and an II--not
necessarily a DI, so I do not see the relevance of the mother's inability (at
first) to interpret the Sign (correctly, in my view) as standing for the hot
burner.  She would presumably find this out very quickly, of course, after
rushing into the kitchen.

I disagree. Whether or not the mother interprets the DI (the cry of her
daughter) correctly or not, the cry is part of the child's semiosis, not that
of the mother. You continue:

The Dynamic Object determines the Sign--perhaps a neural signal of pain--of
which the girl's scream is a Dynamic Interpretant; and every Sign determines
its Interpretant to stand in the same relation to the Sign's Dynamic Object as
the Sign itself does.  Hence both the internal neural signal and the external
scream are Indices of the hot burner; at least, that is how I see it at the
moment.

I would say that the Interpretant standing in the same relation to the Sign's
DO as the Sign does concerns the child's sign only. I see the mother as
grounding (in the sense of semiotic 'determination') her Immediate Object for
her, the mother's) semiosis not in the distant burner but in the cry of her
child. So I still hold that the child is the Dynamic Object of the mother's
Sign action (semiosis). Again, in my understanding the interpretant standing
"in the same relation to the Sign's Dynamic Object as the Sign itself does"
applies to a different Sign, namely, that of the child.

3.  Did you mean to say "Quasi-mind," rather than "Quasi-sign"?  My current
tentative definition of "Quasi-mind" is a bundle of Collateral Experience and
Habits of Interpretation (i.e., a reacting substance) that retains the capacity
for Habit-change (i.e., learning by experience), and thus can be the
Quasi-utterer of a genuine Sign (since this requires a purpose) and the
Quasi-interpreter of any Sign.

Yes, of course I meant Quasi-mind and not Quasi-sign (an impossibility, I'd
think). I'll have to reflect on your "current tentative definition of
'Quasi-mind' " which at first blush seems quite promising.

4.  I addressed this already in the "Aristotle and Peirce" thread.

It would be helpful for me if you'd comment on my thought that Edwina may be
using 'Form' in a different sense than Peirce such that in her sense it would
connect more to 3ns than to 1ns. And of course I'd be especially eager to hear
what Edwina thinks about that interpretation.

Best,

Gary R

[Gary Richmond]

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
718 482-5690<tel:(718)%20482-5690>

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt
1.  I am inclined to agree with you on this.  As I understand it, the end of
semiosis--both its final cause and its termination--is the production of a
habit; a substance is a bundle of habits; and a material substance is a bundle
of habits that are so inveterate, it has effectively lost the capacity for
Habit-change.  As a result, it seems to me that the behavior of such "things"
can in most or all cases be adequately analyzed in terms of dyadic
action/reaction, rather than the irreducibly triadic action of semiosis.  In
fact, I am leaning toward seeing the latter as requiring a Quasi-mind (see #3
below), at least to serve as the Quasi-interpreter, even though "things" can
certainly serve as Quasi-utterers (i.e., Dynamic Objects) of degenerate Signs.

2.  Something is a Sign by virtue of having a DO, an IO, and an II--not
necessarily a DI, so I do not see the relevance of the mother's inability (at
first) to interpret the Sign (correctly, in my view) as standing for the hot
burner.  She would presumably find this out very quickly, of course, after
rushing into the kitchen.  The Dynamic Object determines the Sign--perhaps a
neural signal of pain--of which the girl's scream is a Dynamic Interpretant;
and every Sign determines its Interpretant to stand in the same relation to the
Sign's Dynamic Object as the Sign itself does.  Hence both the internal neural
signal and the external scream are Indices of the hot burner; at least, that is
how I see it at the moment.

3.  Did you mean to say "Quasi-mind," rather than "Quasi-sign"?  My current
tentative definition of "Quasi-mind" is a bundle of Collateral Experience and
Habits of Interpretation (i.e., a reacting substance) that retains the capacity
for Habit-change (i.e., learning by experience), and thus can be the
Quasi-utterer of a genuine Sign (since this requires a purpose) and the
Quasi-interpreter of any Sign.

4.  I addressed this already in the "Aristotle and Peirce" thread.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 7:05 PM, Gary Richmond