Edwina, Jon S, List,

The passage you find puzzling is from Peirce. It can be hard to make out, in
part because the suggestion is so rich as a sort of guiding idea for the
normative sciences of aesthetics, ethics and semioitics, considered as a whole.

There are a number of attempts in the secondary literature to explain what he
is claiming. I recommend Terry Moore's Conduct and Community: A Peircean
Framework for Moral Philosophy, which is a dissertation on the ethics as seen
in the context of his larger normative theory. It is, in my humble estimation,
a particular good starting place for understanding what Peirce seems to be
suggesting about the "relationship between phenomena and ends."

If you don't have access to the dissertation, but would like to take a look, I
can help put you into contact with Terry (he often follows these discussions on
the list), and he can probably provide a link to a digital copy.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy