Steven,

Frances and I have very different views on most everything concerned with Peirce. I hope you will resist conflating our views.

Steven Ericsson Zenith wrote:

Mostly I think the deconstruction of Peirce's writings concerning representamen / sign is a waste of time and simply unable to produce any meaningful result.

You have a right to your opinion as to what is or is not "a waste of time." Perhaps I don't think this is a crucial issue myself, but it was singled out by Joe, and pursued to some extent by Frances and others.

This message by Frances simply makes no sense to me. How do you, Frances or Gary, propose a representamen that is prior to "all existent objects and 'signs' and semiosis" - this assertion makes no sense ontologically or epistemologically.

Well, the message by Frances makes some sense to me. But, again, the message reflects Frances's position--not mine. However, as I mentioned, there are questions related to the early cosmos which are not semeiotic according to Peirce, although they do have at least a (proto-)categorial structure. I also mentioned the question of bio- and physio-semiotics, neither of which has held much interest for me, although I am reading Sebeok's book referenced in my last post in order "to keep up with the literature.".

Indeed, even if I consider such an argument viable, any such representamen would not be accessible to apprehension. It leads me to believe that there is a misunderstanding in Frances argument concerning the very nature of semeiosis.

Let us see. . . (you are apparently not alone in holding this viewpoint; while I think that particular errors in her understanding will eventually be corrected as she seems to be a person capable of learning in the Peircean sense. I would like to add that we ALL err from time to time, and this is especially possible in setting forth abductions. But these grand pronouncements of her ineptitude, etc. are certainly tending to irk me. What do you think of Ben's hypothesis of a fourth semeiotic element? Is that a "misunderstanding. . .concerning the very nature of semeiosis" or would you be willing to argue for it?

I think you are both reading too much into Peirce's exploration - which he clearly testifies to.

Again, I would appreciate your not conflating our positions. Mainly I have been arguing Frances's right to present ideas certainly not as radical as, say, Ben's, who has not met with the kind of criticism that has been leveled at Frances.

Consider the two terms a property of the immediacy of his manifest refinement (his analysis).

Certainly you have a point here. On the other hand, there may be a subtle distinction which is important to analyze.

Gary