> The problem is that Vista won't let me run any executable whose name =~
> m/patch/i without first getting my Administrator password. Vista doesn't
> care what the file actually does - it just decides that any executable whose
> name =~ m/patch/i needs admin privileges to run, and that it can't be run
> from the command line. (This of course means that I can rename patch.exe to,
> say, othername.exe, and I can then run it fine - but I have to run it as
> 'othername', not 'patch'.)
>
> Despite the fact that this is a great and wondrous innovation on the part of
> Microsoft (I bet Linux wish they'd thought of it first), I would like to
> remove this behaviour. Anyone know how to do that ?

Did you try to create a patch.exe.manifest file in the same directory as
patch.exe that request to run "asInvoker"?  It should contain something like
this:

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"/>
      </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
  </trustInfo>
</assembly>

If this doesn't work, download the ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit)
from Microsoft and try to apply a runAsInvoker shim to the executable.

There may also be a location in the registry to specify the requested
execution level.

Cheers,
-Jan