----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Dubois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Sisyphus'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'perl-win32-users'"
<perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:44 AM
Subject: RE: [OT] patch.exe on Vista is unusable.

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Sisyphus wrote:
>> Despite the fact that this is a great and wondrous innovation on the
>> part of Microsoft (I bet Linux wish they'd thought of it first), I
>> would like to remove this behaviour. Anyone know how to do that ?
>
> I think I figured it out: In the policy editor open "Local Security
> Policy", navigate to "Security Settings", "Local Policies", "Security
> Options" and then deactivate the "User Account Control: Detect
> application installations and prompt for elevation" policy.

Thanks for giving it more thought, Jan. (I'm starting to feel embarrased now
at the effort you've gone to.)
I got into "Local Policies" by first running secpol.msc as administrator,
and then deactivated the control you mention, but nothing seems to have
changed.

I owe Jack an apology, too. If I run the cmd.exe console as Administrator I
*can* run patch.exe fine, irrespective of whether the manifest file is
present or not. (I had misunderstood Jack's advice.)

I've also since discovered that I can run Cygwin's patch fine from within
Cygwin's bash shell. So, at least I do have options for getting the job
done. (It may be that the Cygwin bash shell is running with Administrator
privileges.)

Given that I don't need to run 'patch' all that often, I can probably make
do with the workarounds that I've got at my disposal. After all, it's not a
great imposition to open a cmd.exe shell as administrator. Still ... it's a
damn strange thing to have come up against ....

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Rob