At 19:35 20/08/2002, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>We should not be talking about carrots here, and Thies is not saying
>"screw you" to you.  He wants to help PHP users today.

That almost sounds like a Microsoft tagline :) Come on, you know what he
meant.  If Andi didn't implement this efficient approach (which was not
obvious, as the years that passed without it can prove), there are at least
good chances that Thies wouldn't have the option of 'helping PHP users
today' (the thing about algorithms is that you can't really say whether one
is simple to come up with or not unless you came up with it).  Andi feels
that considering that it's his code, using it disregarding his objection is
a slap in the face.  Not a serious one, not something he'll remember
forever, but still, a slap in the face.

>We have a feature that doesn't destabilize anything or slow anything down
>as far as I can tell, and would be very useful to a whole bunch of users
>today. If that single point is not more important than anything else, then
>we are getting completely offtrack here.

I disagree.  Exactly the same could be said about sessions in the PHP 4
days, and a host of other features.  We have to keep the roadmap in mind,
and not only think about today, but also about tomorrow.

(to clarify, I personally gave up on this particular issue and am fed up
with it, but as I said, if this thread at least helped to prevent other
stuff from being backported and got people to realize that shifting
priorities is right around the corner, then maybe it was worth it).

Zeev