> On 02/20/2017 09:19 AM, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> > I would love for the public repo to be on github!

I would love for it to be on some kind of public git repo too. I'm
mostly indifferent whether it's github/bitbucket/sourceforge/whatever,
but would just love to be able to pull/branch/rebase for quick
experimenting with the leading-edge source. More importantly in regard
to this thread, a lot of Debian packaging tools and methodologies (and
probably in other distros) are increasingly leveraging git to
streamline the packaging process (e.g.
http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/man.gbp.html
and https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html#combine),
making it easier for packagers (and less excuse for lag-time or
packaging bugs) when using an existing git-upstream, so a public git
repo would help keep picolisp more up-to-date in the distros. Also, I
think public git would make the "downloading -> exploring ->
contributing-patches" pipeline a lot faster and easier for
contributing to picolisp itself (even if the changes are still sent to
the mailing-list, at least they could be commit-ready patches
generated with git-format-patch, allowing merging or cherry-picking
them to be trivially easy and fast).

On 20 February 2017 at 20:46, Christopher Howard
<christop...@alaskasi.com> wrote:
> I'm sure my opinion has very little weight around here, but since other
> people are discussing it I want to put in a plug for Savannah (Non-GNU):
>
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/
>
> If you aren't willing to run the proprietary JavaScript on Github it
> becomes a real pain to work with. (Gets an F rating from FSF
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.en.html>.)
> Includes Subversion and Git support.

..when thinking of free/libre/open github alternatives, and
particularly if the approval-wait of savannah is annoying, there is
also one of:

 A)
   1] self-host by running (free/open) gitlab -
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce
   2] use their free repo-hosting service at - https://gitlab.com
 B)
   self-host by running (free/open) gogs - https://github.com/gogits/gogs
 C)
   self-host with one of the more minimal solutions like (free/open) gitweb, etc

I haven't looked at how strictly FSF-friendly gitlab.com is (librejs,
etc), but for sure it's a big improvement on github if you care about
privacy/control/librejs issues. gogs is interesting because it is very
lightweight, portable, and easy-maintenance (can even be hosted on a
raspberry pi or nas device), whereas gitlab is bigger and seems
equivalent to github in terms of bells-and-whistles (CI integration,
etc).

--
Rowan Thorpe
----