On Sun, 18 Feb 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

When I got home with the new HDMI cable I plugged it in, but the monitor
just says 'no signal.' I also tried booting to an Ubuntu USB stick, but
still no signal to the monitor. My laptop also has an HDMI output so I
tried that, but still no signal to the monitor.

John,

  Did the video work at the clinic?

  While FreeGeek is not open today they're a good source for monitors. And
having a spare on hand is always helpful in determining whether a monitor is
dead or just resting.

  My Acer is many years old, never off, and still works so it might be a
cable or connection issue with your monitor.

Rich