Rocketman3 wrote:
> with each selection giving me the message "Redirection limit exceeded".
That "feels" like redirection to https.  The plugin will change each
https to http .  A few years ago this used to work but BBC seems to now
only support https and so you get a loop.

https is now mandatory used by many streaming services not just BBC so
you'll see this issue appear with many sites even some plugin
repositories.

> Does this, I wonder, mean that you are correct and I will have to
> upgrade beyond 7.8.1 and put up with the ruin it does to general
> indexing, if I want iPlayer to work?!!

I can't comment on indexing but there have been very many bugs fixed
since 7.8 so overall 7.9.2 is a better experience.  I expect there is an
explanation for your indexing issues and perhaps an easy solution.