mitrih wrote:
> I ended up doing a bit more work on this, the http .m3u8 link is a
> quicktime link that is hopeless. But I got the rtsp link
> rtsp://mobilestreaming.itworkscdn.com/radioorient/radioorient
> it opens in mplayer (and realplay). but for some reason AlienBBC does
> not open it, even though it uses the same mplayer... It complains about
> end of file, I guess the server buffering scheme does not work.
> Maybe my version is getting pretty old, but as soon as I upgrade from
> 7.3.3 then the new version do not support the old squeezebox well.
> If you have any idea how to modify this rtsp stream to make it work with
> Alien, I would appreciate it ( or maybe I should ask that question on
> the Alien thread)
> Thanks!

Very little is simple and unambiguous in web audio streaming.

The "rtsp" designation can be used to stream at least 3 different types
of audio - RealNetworks RealAudio, Apple Quicktime and Microsoft WMA (it
is the successor to mms).

AlienBBC was developed to play RealAudio streams from BBC.   BBC no
longer uses RealAudio. RealAudio is effectively dead. BBC webpages have
changed.  AlienBBC is dead. Do not waste time with AlienBBC. The
PlayReal plugin replaced AlienBBC to play RealAudio streams/files .

Using VLC to play the stream - it turns out to be a Quicktime MP3
32kbits 22kHz mono stream.  IIRC Even if this stream used http - SB
players cannot play 22kHz mono streams.

Mplayer can play rtsp stream - IIRC however at build time you need to
specify whether you want live555 libraries for Quicktime rtsp or
RealAudio libraries for RealAudio rtsp.

I suggest try installing PlayReal ( this may need to be done manually as
I can't remember what version LMS is supported by it) and change command
command line to suit your build of mplayer and possibly alter cache
settings to ensure strema starts in reasonable time.