Hello Matthew,

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 8:15:22 AM UTC-4, Matthew Wild wrote:

> On 15 August 2015 at 13:11,  <b...@cogs.com <javascript:>> wrote:

> >> This is incorrect. Just clone the URL I gave you earlier: hg clone
> >> https://hg.prosody.im/timber
> >
> > Ok I coned that directory and all I had to do was edit the
> > /util-src/Makefile I mentioned earlier.
> >
> > That built a running Prosody that is unable to find the luafilesystem,
> > LuaSec and util.encodings.
>
> Not finding util.encodings is a bit strange. Check what happens when
> you run: lua5.2 -l util.encodings (in the directory where you ran
> 'make')

Here is the current results. I will describe what I think is currently
going on.

slim#  lua -l util.encodings
lua: error loading module 'util.encodings' from file './util/encodings.so':
dlopen(./util/encodings.so, 6): Symbol not found: _stringprep_nameprep
  Referenced from: ./util/encodings.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in ./util/encodings.so
stack traceback:
[C]: in ?
[C]: in function 'require'
[C]: in ?

I have done some digging and I have it on good authority that on the
macports-dev list that

"the appropriate -I at compile time is currently being used to find
MacPorts-installed headers, but no matching -L at link time to find
MacPorts-installed libraries"

 I found that timber user config.unix IDNA_LIBS=-L/opt/local/lib eliminated
my linker error and I could build timber.

I guess this setting should happen under the macosx setting due to
platforms use of two-level spacing.
I also don't think that will be the final tweak needed.
I think we may need to set LDFLAGS to flatten namespaces.

ld a.o b.o c.o ... -L/opt/local/lib -lidn

I think I have found where to deal with the settings inside macports but
I'm not sure what is required to the util.encodings.so to build.
LuaSec is also missing that I have luasec installed and I wonder if it
could be camel casing problem,

Should we consider this thread done and I can start a new thread if I have
any more questions?

Thanks,

Ben