On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 12:16:10 PM UTC-4, Matthew Wild wrote:

> On 14 August 2015 at 16:57,  <b...@cogs.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > I have downloaded the timber trunk and I'm working through getting it
> build.
> > currently it's failing with this linker error. Which I isolated to
> util-src
> > Makefile.
> >
> > slim# pwd
> > /Users/Shared/prosody/timber-trunk/util-src
> > slim# make
> > MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="10.3"; export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET;
> > gcc -o encodings.so encodings.o -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -lidn
> > ld: library not found for -lidn
> > clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
> > invocation)
> > make: *** [encodings.so] Error 1
> >
> > I have been using the paths of my macports lua installation with the
> intent
> > that I will turn the manual installation into a macports portfile for at
> > least my own local use.
> > Any ideas appreciated.
>
> I'm not an OS X user, but this error indicates that you do not have
> (or the linker cannot find) the libidn library, which is one of
> Prosody's build dependencies:
> https://prosody.im/doc/installing_from_source#dependencies
>
> Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you that was a big help. I looked at the linker and found that the

timber-trunk/util-src/Makefile

IDN_LIB?=idn

in later code referred to in the plural IDNA_LIBS which I changed to the
singular IDNA_LIB.

I also found that the existing macports Portfile for for prosody version
.9.1 included an extra dependency libidn not listed

https://prosody.im/doc/install#source

This page lists this command to install dependencies using macports and OS X

port install lua lua-luasocket lua-luasec lua-luaexpat

this should be

port install lua lua-luasocket lua-luasec lua-luaexpat libidn

That command successfully installs all the dependencies and I can build
either .9.8 or timber.

Once those are installed I'm still faced with the original problem that
neither prosody version will run on lua 5.2.

My question is now focused on what configure args should I use to get
timber to use lua version 5.2.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Ben