At 06:36 PM 3/13/01 -0600, John Lemburg wrote:
>I would like to make a brief comment about hiding power pins.  I have been
>burned.  My advice to anyone who thinks this is a good idea is don't do it.
>Show everything where nothing is assumed to be connected.  This allows
>proper identification of all bypass caps shown right where they are
>connected to the device.

I routinely use hidden power pins without a problem. But I also know that
it is easy to wander blindly into the world of hidden pins and get burned
fairly badly. *If* there is a single hidden power supply on the board,
*and* one has verified that the hidden pins have the appropriate
attributes, there can be good reasons for using them. Ideally, when we
design parts that might be candidates for the use of hidden pins, the pins
are placed such that they can be unhidden and used with ease and grace. Not
all the Protel parts have been made this way.

If one uses unhidden pins for power, with multigate ICs, as a common
example, the question arises of where to put the power pins, i.e., on which
section or on all sections. Suffice it to say that this can be a nuisance
in itself. How many times I have ended up with a mess because section
numbers were changed for various reasons with a part with power on a single
section, I don't care to count.

Something that I would try if I had time today would be to unhide the pins
on one section of an IC with hidden power pins and connect that to a
differently named power supply. I would expect this to generate an error or
at least a net renaming warning if other sections with hidden pins were
present in the design.

If so, and if one wants to be explicit, one could simply unhide one
section, any convenient section, assuming that all the sections have hidden
pins, and wire it explicitly. This would be very safe. If one wired it
explicitly to a different net than the hidden net, it would generate an
error or warning.

Thus one would have the best of both worlds.

As to bypass capacitors, it is just as explicit to place a bypass cap with
power objects next to the part in question, and it is easier to implement;
one can do it for a whole page at once by placing one cap and its power
objects and copying it as many times as necessary. Since it is not actually
going to a pin, the location is not critical.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433